Holding up the Mirror
Role of the Head of School
According to 18 years of research investigating what makes a good leader, authors Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner have discovered five core practices that exemplary leaders rely on to inspire ordinary people to achieve extraordinary results. Exemplary leaders
- Challenge the Process
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Enable Others to Act
- Model the Way
- Encourage the Heart
From Kouzes and Posner’s core practices attributes we have designed the following series of questions to provide a framework for personal reflection on each practice identified by Kouzes and Posner. Individual responses will lead to personal discoveries of leadership growth opportunities present in the your school environment.
- What are you doing to challenge the process? In other words, change the status quo?
- What do you see as the future for your school? How are you enlisting others to share that vision and see exciting possibilities for the future?
- How have you fostered collaboration and built teamwork? How have you fostered an atmosphere of trust and human dignity?
- How have you led the way? What signposts have you put up when the direction was unclear? How have you simplified procedures when they got in the way of action? How have you created standards of excellence and then set an example for others to follow?
- How have you made people feel like heroes? How have you recognized contributions and celebrated accomplishments?